Artist/Curator Submission for Consideration:
Our location within the Stamp Student Union gives young and emerging artists and curators a unique opportunity to increase their visibility and present work to an engaged and academic community. The gallery is invested in providing opportunities for developing and emerging artists and curators to present work that is innovative and challenges the community to think critically about the issues it addresses. Our goal in exhibiting work by emerging and mid-career artists is to provide those artists with an opportunity to show their work to an engaged and interested academic community. To that end we create promotional materials for all of our exhibitions in order to raise awareness of the artist(s) and exhibition. We also provide a staff to aid in installation and de-installation of exhibitions.
Artists’ works are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Work in all media is considered, including installations. (Note that we cannot accommodate work which requires hanging heavy objects from the ceiling.) If you are an artist who would like to recommend your work for inclusion in a future exhibition please send 10 to 20 images of your work (digital highly preferred-at least 300dpi), accompanying image list (including title, date, size, and medium for each work), a resume, an artist statement and/or one-page statement about the examples included, and a self-addressed stamped return envelope for the image materials to the address below. Please do not send original art. If you have any questions that are not addressed here, call the gallery at 301-314-8492
Curators Exhibition Proposal Submission:
Outside curators are responsible for overseeing all aspects of the exhibition’s execution including arrangements with artists, installation and de-installation, providing all required information and items to the gallery staff for the timely creation of promotional materials, and creating and implementing any programs (performances, lectures, tours, etc.) to complement the exhibition. The gallery staff is happy to advise and consult with outside curators to ensure the success of the exhibition.
If you would like to propose an exhibition, please send the following with a self-addressed stamped return envelope (with sufficient postage) to the gallery:
- A written proposal that includes a potential title for the exhibition, the name(s) of the artist(s) to be included, and a curator’s statement. The curator’s statement should:
- describe the exhibition’s concept and/or theme, discuss the relevancy to that concept/theme of the artwork to be exhibited
- provide specific information that suggests the curator’s ability to execute the exhibition in our space
- demonstrate the exhibition’s consonance with the Stamp Gallery’s mission and goals
- name all equipment requirements
- (optionally) suggest programming (artists talks, performances, lectures, panel discussions, etc.) to accompany the exhibition (programming can also be determined after the acceptance of the proposal).
- Short biographies and resumes/CVs for all curator(s) and artist(s) to be included in the proposed exhibition.
- Contact information including name, address, phone, and email address.
- 10-20 images of the work to be included in the exhibition (digital highly preferred), or if new work is to be created, images of past work that adequately represents the artist(s), and an accompanying image list (should have artist name, title, date, size and medium). Images should be at least 300dpi and no smaller than 6×4″.
The gallery will respond to proposals in the order in which they are received. Please be patient concerning reply and return of materials. If you have any questions that are not addressed above, call the gallery at 301-314-8492